In our last blog we talked about some common roofing mistakes that are made every year by many Front Range residents. Here at Planet Roofing, your trusted Denver roofing company, we have refined our processes to make sure that we get your project done right, on time and quickly so that your roofing project doesn’t have to be a major inconvenience. Today we’re exploring more common roofing mistakes.
1. Incorrect Nail Placement. When nails are placed improperly, it can cause some very serious structural issues. Instead of leaving the nail heads exposed to damaging sun, wind and moisture, all nails should be placed underneath the top layer of shingles. This can help keep them from corroding, which can eventually lead to holes in your shingles.
2. Improper Flashing installation. If it is misaligned, improperly overlapped or insufficiently fastened, then your roof is not sufficiently prepared to protect you from ice, rain and snow.
3. Improper Overhang. If your roofing materials do not hang past the eaves, then you risk wind damage, which can also blow wind underneath the edges of your shingles. Make sure that your roofer gives your roof the proper amount of overhang.
4. Mismatched Slate Coloring. Have your roofer inspect all slate before installing it onto your roof. Even slate that comes from the same source can have a variety of colors. You want to ensure proper consistency of slate coloring when the slate is on the ground, rather than when it is on your roof.
5. Improper Ventilation. We advanced roofing materials to ensure that your roof is not only structurally sound, but properly vented. If your roof is not vented well enough, it can lead to excess heat build-up and damaging moisture collection.