At Planet Roofing, we use the very best roofing materials in North America. Made by GAF, our shingles have been unanimously agreed to be durable and excellent. We are proud to offer our customers great shingles as Northern Colorado’s premier roofing contractor. In this blog, we will explore composite shingles, a type of asphalt shingle that has become very popular due to its affordability and toughness.
Composite asphalt shingles come in two forms: fiberglass and organic. Fiberglass shingles have a waterproof asphalt-coated mat reinforced with glass fiber. In organic shingles, the asphalt mat is a wood product like waste paper. Adhesive salt and ceramic granules are embedded on the top.
Organic shingles are more durable than fiberglass, but their high high asphalt content makes them more flammable. Therefore, fiberglass shingles are slowly replacing organic shingles. If you are considering getting a composite shingle roof, here are some advantages and disadvantages to consider:
Composite roofing can be great because it is:
- Great selection of styles
- Easy to install
Composite roofing can be a disadvantage because:
- It gets damaged if installed at below-freezing temperatures
- If your attic isn’t properly ventilated, it can damage your shingles
- The wind can lift them up
- Extreme temperatures makes them crack
- It performs better in cooler temperatures where heat cannot crack and fade it
- It requires regular repairs and maintenance
- Its petroleum content makes it environmentally unfriendly
Composite shingles are a great option, because even though they are not as sturdy as slate or metal, they are much more affordable. Because maintenance and replacement are easy and affordable, you will not have trouble keeping your roof in great shape. Check out our roof replacement services and get a free roof inspection today!